[SLUG] Digital Scarborough

David Webster dave at dave-webster.com
Mon Jul 10 17:41:10 BST 2006

Bob Garrood wrote:
> Hi
>
> At the last meeting Digital Scarborough came up.  If we want to organise for
> this, then I suggest we start by settling the theme, and then some general
> ground rules for organisation.  Here is an idea.
>
> Theme. Last year it was 'Freedom'.  How about 'Alternatives' this time,
> perhaps organised as, say, 3 examples,  "Alternatives to Office",
> "Alternative Browsers" are possibles.  I am sure there will be other
> suggestions ("Alternatives to crashes and viruses").  Each alternative would
> each need an A4 poster listing possibilities.  "Alternatives to Office" might
> be OpenOffice, Koffice, Abiword, Gnumeric and even editors like Gedit and
> Kate, and these could be available for inspection on the 3 machines we set
> up.
>
> Ground rules.
> Rather than give out handouts, we could try to point people at helpful
> websites.  Only people with the initiative to look things will want to
> install linux anyway.
>
> Bob
This is rather tricky ground. In the past the Linux community as a whole
has compared Linux to Windows, with a bit of Windows bashing. As we have
discussed in our group, Linux is not a free version of Windows. There
are a number of things that Linux doesn't do that Windows does.
OpenOffice does not feature a lot of features that Word 2003 does, for
example. What I'm getting at here, is that perhaps Linux shouldn't be
pushed onto home/family users. Instead, what we could look at is:

"How can Linux benefit a power user or a business?"

Just my thoughts.

Dave