[SLUG] Scarborough Digital

David Webster dave at dave-webster.com
Fri Jul 21 18:24:50 BST 2006

Bob Garrood wrote:
> Hi
>
> Looking at the Digital Scarborough programme, I was inclined to agree with
> John that there is no room for SLUG.   Thinking it over, I think we ought to
> try and make a statement about it.
>
> My theory is this.  Scarborough council are building a "creative industry"
> centre.  I know about it because it is near me.  I,with others, tried to stop
> it.  We said "creative industry" could mean anything.
>
> So I think this event has been highjacked by Scarborough Council, who
> desperately want to believe in this high profit, sexy, new industry.  You can
> see their address at the end of the document, and you can tell that it is
> being run by council officials from the total bullshit in the first
> paragraph.
>
> "The secret is out. Scarborough is home to a wealth of digital talent - from
> designers to composers, from artists to DJ's. Digital Scarborough 2006 is a
> celebration of all this and more. Resourcing the people doing it, and
> inspiring everyone else to have a go, it's where competitive hi-tech business
> meets cyber-punk anarchy head on, with a diversion into pastoral digital
> ambiance. Take another look at that beach - it's made of silicon you know?".
>
> Hope I don't tread in any "pastoral digital ambiance".
>
> The part of this circus that corresponds to last year's setup is the part
> called the Digital Marketplace.  It sounds great.
>
> "The latest ideas, tomorrow's technology, cutting edge business and
> entertainment. Launch site - Scarborough, destination -  the future. The
> Digital Marketplace will be a chance for invited local new media companies to
> show off their work to Scarborough's business community. "
>
> I think we should write to them asking for a stall at the Digital Marketplace.
> Some thing like:
>
> "At an event that focuses on creativity and the arts, it is especially
> appropriate for free/open source software to be represented.  Often this
> software is more advanced than proprietary software.  It is particularly
> suitable for students of music and the visual arts, as commercial software in
> these fields is expensive."
>
> I find it hard to believe that Scarborough is so full of cutting edge
> businesses that there is no room for anyone else.
>
> Bob

Bob.  You have it in one :)

It is interesting to note one part of the opening paragraph:
> "The secret is out. Scarborough is home to a wealth of digital talent - from
> designers to composers, from artists to DJ's. Digital Scarborough 2006 is a
> celebration of all this and more. Resourcing the people doing it, and
> inspiring everyone else to have a go, it's where competitive hi-tech business
> meets cyber-punk anarchy head on, with a diversion into pastoral digital
> ambiance. Take another look at that beach - it's made of silicon you know?".
Specifically:
> meets cyber-punk anarchy head on
Is that us then :)

Maybe we could go in as 'the other side' and talk about how we use
(digital)computers in our daily lives for productivity.  Tools that come
to mind, to name a few, are GIMP, Film GIMP, Audacity, Inkscape K3B,
Amarok, Totem, Firefox, Thunderbird, iPodderX, Skype, OpenOffice,
Scribus, ...

Dave