[SLUG] Re: Why Linux Isn't Mainstream

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 10:38:42 BST 2006

On Sunday 23 July 2006 12:15, Dave wrote:

> > Toby Richards wrote an opinion article
> > <http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/17/1535230> for
> > NewsForge, claiming that for him, Linux won't get mainstream until
> > Evolution --or another capable Outlook-like client-- gets optimized
> > and offers 100% compatibility with Exchange. In the comments section
> > of Newsforge readers offered more reasons as to why Linux is not
> > mainstream, offering a view on their needs. *My take:* While for my
> > personal, home usage of Linux my needs are different, I agree with
> > Toby that companies won't switch their desktops if full Exchange
> > compatibility isn't reached and if Evolution stops being the memory
> > beast <http://gnomedesktop.org/node/2725> it currently is.
>
> Dave

Hi

There does seem to be some awareness.  In a report on Red Hat 5 from

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.aspx?CIaNID=35129

the issue is touched on.

 " the key hindrances to Linux success on the desktop which Red Hat and Novell
are apparently trying to solve " relate to poor Microsoft Office document
conversion, particularly Excel, and "mediocre" connectivity to Exchange.

Red Hat is hoping to close the gap with RHEL 5. The Open Office 2.0X version
in its desktop incorporates a new mail merge wizard and improved Microsoft
Office compatibility. "

Bob