[SLUG] xgl

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 09:16:34 BST 2006

Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> Anyway it would be nice to show them what Linux can do long before
> Vista comes out.
> for example this link
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDD1N7NdCmI

I am pleased that Linux can match up to Vista with all the pretty things
- that after all is where it has been lacking in the past.

Now this is heading slightly off topic, but... I assume that all these
pretty 3d models require graphics processing power, and plenty of it. I
would like to see a comparison of how much electricity is drawn from a
computer using XGL, one which isn't and one using Vista.

Whilst the pretty things are all well and good all it seems to achieve is:

a) Increasing our need for graphics cards and all the externalities
which their production brings

b) Increasing our need for electrical power

c) No gains for usability or function (I'm not sat here thinking, "I
wish we were all using terminals or Windows 3.1", many innovations
increase productivity).

This is of course assuming that I am correct about the requirements in
order to be able to render this stuff.

XGL requiring some conscious thought of "I want to have pretty boxes so
I'm going to install it" is a good enough deterrent to its use, however
sadly it looks like it will soon become "the norm" as it looks like with
Vista.

Anyway - discuss.

Steve O