[SLUG] xgl

Gavin Baker gavbaker at acm.org
Tue Jul 25 09:46:37 BST 2006

On 25 Jul 2006, at 00:14, Jam Adams wrote:

> Fintan Gaughan wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDD1N7NdCmI
>
> That was pretty neat. I was like 'yeah, i wonder how practical that
> is in operation..'.. then I saw the spinny cube thing.
>
> I want that.

So get it :)

I haven't tried it for I guess about 4 years, but it was solid back
then:
   http://desk3d.sourceforge.net  (has animated gifs showing effects)
It has pretty much all the transitions that osx's coregraphics screen
transistions has.

The funky window physics will be from luminocity (about 2 years old)
    http://www.gnome.org/~seth/blog/xshots (has videos)

XGL is fairly new. Finally GL accelerated X. No more sluggish window
resizing etc.

Nice that some distro's (the new novell included) finally
incorporated some funky user interface effects.
The compositing window manager was created by novell too (compiz).
Not sure why metacity/kwin etc don't take advantage of compositing...

Gav.