[SLUG] grep sed

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 1 10:03:44 GMT 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:22:30PM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:
> > It seems to me that the task you described initially was finished
> > after sed had done it's work.  The creation of another file while
> > passing the same information to stdout seems a waste of time.
>
> Ah, I get you. Yes, I was in the middle of working out what was going
> on, though, that's all tee was there for, it was helping me debug.
>
> This was my first experience of sed and I got a screenful of output
> with no way of knowing really what it all was. Maybe it started with
> something important. So I sent it to a file so I could check it
> through.
>
> So it was a learning aid really.

I see now, I thought there was something else going on I'd missed at
first, then couldn't understand why you'd create all that extra stuff.

Glad you've got it working.  Which is the important thing after all.

Cheers,

Al

BTW.  Any chance you can post the URL of your blogg please, I've enjoyed
reading it in the past, but can't for the life of me find it now.

--
Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>
Linux User: #290080         <http://counter.li.org>