[SLUG] unsubscribe

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 1 11:17:27 GMT 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 11:27:03PM GMT, Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> On 28/02/06, Stephen O'Neill <soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > john baldwin wrote:
> >
> > > hi i've tried several times to unsubscribe but still find my mailbox
> > > loaded up --please advise  mail at john99.wanadoo.co.uk
> > > <mailto:mail at john99.wanadoo.co.uk> thanks
> >

> > Hi there,
> >
> > Sorry for the problems you've been having, we're certainly not spam
> > merchants.
> >
> > Fintan will take a look at why you've not been removed, and if it's a
> > problem with the system then we'll look into it.
> >
> > Fintan - please can you let me know the outcome of this?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Steve O
> >
> I did reply to this but I don't know where that went also I have
> emailed him directly.
> Both emails that belongs to him jonty at john99.wanadoo.co.uk also
> mail at john99.wanadoo.co.uk is not the membership  list so I don't know
> why he is receiving them.

This has happened to several people in the past.  The problem seems to
lay with people changing address but still receiving mail to their old
address.  They then try to cancel a subscription but the mailman program
will only accept unsubscribe messages from the subscribing address.
There is a way around this that doesn't involve the list admin, but
can't remember the details off-hand.

John, if you're still reading this can you check the address messages
from the LUG are being sent too and use that to unsubscribe with please.
You should have just received a message from the mailman robot giving
your address and password.  These will allow you to unsubscribe via the
mailman webpages.

Steve, we could do with a "I can't unsubscribe! What can I do?" bit on
the mailing list page.  I find it amazing the number of people
completely unaware of all the mailing list information in the headers of
every mail from the list.

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>