[SLUG] Bob/Valley/Wireless idea

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 7 09:18:55 GMT 2006

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> Bob, you seem to have a relationship with them. Do you think they
> might be up for paying for us to set up a (Linux) machine and Internet
> connection?

Whilst we're clearly advocates of Linux, I would strongly recommend that
the hardware was a dedicated router - they're much easier to
manage/maintain and they're far more environmentally friendly in terms
of power consumption. Plus there are no hardware compatibility issues.

They can get a *decent* wireless router for c. £60 (taking the one I use
at home as the example).

That said, if they're looking to open up a 'hotspot' then issues about
bandwidth hogs/nefarious activities become an issue.

You can do wireless authentication by MAC address plus the associated
encryption, but that could be faffy letting people on the network on
request only and you're still not managing to throttle people's usage to
a 'fair' amount.

BB access costs can obviously vary... and t&cs could easily be violated
by a rogue user...

They're my initial thoughts.

Steve O