[SLUG] Installing Linux for Lucy

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 11:47:26 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 21 Mar 2006 10:04, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 Mar 2006 08:23, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > Hi John,
> >
> >> Oh, and Suse says "Great computer, except, you're about to install
> >> 32
> >> bit software on a 64 bit machine". Any thoughts on that?
> >
> > Absolutely. This is what the 32-bit version of SUSE linux says when it
> > detects
> > that you are about to install it on a PC with a 64-bit processor (be
> > it an
> > AMD or Intel 64-bit processor). It's just a little hint that you could
> > use
> > the 64-bit edition of SUSE on that machine.
>
> Thanks Paul
>
> Does the 64 bit version work (reliably), do the applications work
> (including other things we might need, such as, I dunno, RealPlayer or
> similar), and is it free of charge or chargeable (is it actually a
> sales message)?

Hi John,

I honestly cannot answer your question as I don't use SUSE as my main distro.
I use Debian 64-bit on an AMD64 processor and do occasionally come across
small difficulties (e.g. flash player via Firefox). These difficulties may
not appear in SUSE however as it is definitely more refined especially as a
desktop distro.

It's certainly not a sales message because the 64-bit OSS version can be
obtained freely.

Because I don't use SUSE as my main distro I am no expert on this but in older
versions of SUSE default installs would not play DVDs/MP3s etc without
additional package installs from alternative locations. SUSE used to stay
clear of any potential patent/legal problems that come with DVDs and MP3s etc
and did not include the software on their distribution disks. I mention this
because you say the Lucy wants to be able to watch DVDs. This situation may
have changed now. I'd be interested to hear from someone who knows this.

Finally I cannot advise whether you should try the 64-bit version or stay as
you are. Mike D. may be able to comment here as I am sure he uses SUSE
64-bit.

Regards,

Paul.

Regards,