[SLUG] rtf app

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 14:30:56 GMT 2006

> Hi ppl
>
> This is the kind of thing you can't easily look up. In Fedora 4, when
> I try to download and open an rtf file, it opens in gedit as a pile of
> ASCII. How do I set a preference for it to open in Office, bearing in
> mind I don't know where the Office/Word executable is.

Hmm, I think I just solved that.

I hassled the Open Office 'launchers' until it told me what it
actually called, which was 'openoffice.org-2.0 -writer %U'.

Then I used whereis to find openoffice.org-2.0, it's in /usr/bin.

Then I downloaded the file which prompted whether to open it or save
it, I chose to open with 'other' and then I could browse for
/usr/bin/open.....

It worked.

I was happy.