[SLUG] rtf app

Jamie Adams thefatsamurai at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 14:36:53 GMT 2006

> Hmm, I think I just solved that.
>
> I hassled the Open Office 'launchers' until it told me what it
> actually called, which was 'openoffice.org-2.0 -writer %U'.
>
> Then I used whereis to find openoffice.org-2.0, it's in /usr/bin.
>
> Then I downloaded the file which prompted whether to open it or save
> it, I chose to open with 'other' and then I could browse for
> /usr/bin/open.....
>
> It worked.
>
> I was happy.

It's pretty simple in Gnome to make it do this every time if you like.
Right click on the file, click preferences, then the 'open with' tab.
You can set your preferred application in there. Then, when you want to
open any other rtf files, just right click the icon, then 'open with'.

Actually.. I think I misread the question because this is a firefox
issue. Still, I assume that firefox reads the desktop mime-type info.