[SLUG] Download writing to disc failure

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 10:31:49 GMT 2006

> On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 09:56:41AM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:
>> > Incidentally, I've just downloaded an MP3 someone sent me and it
>> came
>> > down fine. So I have to work on which files/where are giving me
>> > problems. I'll be back.
>>
>> Alright, so now I want to download RealPlayer for Helix so I can
>> play
>> an MP3. It's 5.7MB and is heading for /home/rpms. The MP3 I
>> downloaded
>> went into /home/work/etc, so it's the same partition. There's a
>> weeny
>> chance I've run out of space, but this is the same behaviour that
>> was
>> happening before.
>>
>> The attached window shot is where it reaches and it just stays
>> there.
>> I can only cancel, and then, of course, there's no file.
>
> Spooky! there's no attached window shot either.

Sorry, that followed in the next message :-)

> I've been waiting for to say what app you are using to download files
> give some sort of clue.  I assume your difficulties are with your
> browser?  Can you confirm?
>
> Do you have similar problems using the package management system, ftp,
> wget or whatever?
>
> Al

Firefox 1.0.7

I use gFTP to occasionally pull back a file and I haven't had a
problem. Interesting, I don't think I'd thought of it as a browser
problem.

Both files came from the web through FireFox though. The first, the
MP3, someone had sent me through some irritating ISendU type website
facility nonsense. Maybe, since that's their business they've got some
part of the protocol covered that Real hasn't and which FireFox needs.

I haven't got another browser installed to test, and guess what ..
I'll bet I couldn't download it if I wanted to.

If it does turn out to be FireFox I'll have to revise my "wouldn't
wish it on your worst enemy" verdict on Fedora. Bugger!