[SLUG] Installing sofware (was Download etc.)

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 15:50:48 GMT 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 03:17:09PM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:
> As an aside, if we're supposed to use Yum, then Yum should contain the
> software we want.

If your distro of choice doesn't contain the packages you require then
you should ask the developers why not.  You could always ask other FC4
users what they use.  It's part of the purpose of the LUG after all.

>                   Kino is what I want, but Yum doesn't have it. Do you
> have any idea how to find out what alternative video editing packages
> Yum does have? Or whether Kino is in the pipeline? Or even what
> packages Yum does have?

As I've said before. I've never used FC4 so I've not used Yum either.  I
would assume it has a method of search the available repositories for
available packages.  A search for video with apt give 237 possibles.
Clearly they are not all going to be the type of package you are looking
for as some will be libraries and documentation etc. but you will see
some alternatives to kino.

I suggest you try typing 'yum tutorial' into google and see what you get.

> I'm not hassling, but my submessage is there's no 'should' or moral
> obligation to use Yum, users will use it if it works. Which it does,
> beautifully, until you move outside their list of supported packages.
> It doesn't, for me and Kino, so I'm left with no option but to use rpm
> etc.

I not try to wave my morals here.  It simply makes sense to use the hard
work of the developers to use something like yum to install your
software and then keep it up to date and secure with the same system.

> I'm getting the impression that Kino's easily available through the
> Debian / APT system. So in choosing a distribution, how do I know
> which lot of software I'm likely to end up with?

I can only say that I thought it best to look at as many different
systems and talk to as many different people as possible before making
my choice.

You may find that kino is available from and alternate repository.
Again google may help you find it.

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>