[SLUG] network with shielded cable

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 19:07:48 GMT 2006

Hello, All,

I've to wire up a network with shielded cat5e, in a new building.  The
electricians have put the cable in.  I've to terminate both ends of the
cable and set up the network.

I think I know how to connect a shielded keystone jack and a shielded
plug, and to test the continuity of the cable.  I think I know that you
need a shielded patch cable from the wall jack to the PC.

What I'm unsure of is exactly what happens at the plug/rack cabinet end.
  Does the plug end of the cable go straight into the switch, or is
there a need for an intermediate shielded patch panel?

Any advice on this would be very gratefully received, as would any URLs
of helpful websites as to how to do a shielded cable network.

Many thanks,
Martin