[SLUG] Backup

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sat Oct 28 10:30:49 BST 2006

Hi

Members with long memories will remember that I partitioned my hard
disc according to what I learned when studying for the LPI thing. I'm
hitting problems with that now.

One rule was, partition your hard drive into partitions the same size
as your backup medium (DVD in this case, 4.7Gb), so I did that.

4.7Gb gets quickly filled, even though I'm not really an audio/video
person. So that requires maintenance.

Now I've 15 partitions and it turns out that's the most I can have. So
while I might have a 150Gb drive, I'm only using half of it.

The problem I have now is with backup. The whole idea is that I'm
supposed to just be able to back up a partition to a DVD drive. That
worked for the first one which is probably only 13% full, but the
second complained there wasn't enough room in the partition to make
the image file. That one's still only 69% full.

I'm just using Nautilus for Gnome, Fedora 3.

Is there a better way of writing these partitions to DVD?

Does anyone want to recommend some simple backup software .. I don't
need network backup.