[SLUG] Linux Expo 2996 Olympia

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 17:43:45 BST 2006

LinuxWorld Conference and Expo 2006

Working in London, I was able to visit the Linux Expo at Olympia, this
morning.

Here are a few impressions:
- There was a marked difference between the businesses based on Linux
(the preponderance of the exhibition), and the booths and activities
which were concerned with the Linux Community.  There seemed to be a
discrepancy in the underlying ethos of the men in dark blue suits, and
the less formally clad women and men who were of a more co-operative
turn of mind. Nevertheless, I much enjoyed talking to a representative
of a Cambridge firm which has been involved with the IT side of research
such as the Human Genome project. They had great big cupboards full of
racks of interchangeable and hot-swappable terrabites of data: yum (and
that's not Yellowdog Update Manager).
- I listened to the Ubuntu leader, Jono Bacon, speak about the future of
Ubuntu. Communitaire ethos; new distro out tomorrow, carrying on where
Dapper leaves off; ambition for a years time, after Edgy through to
Feisty, I think he said, of a distro with “sheen and brilliance”, the
best for hardware drivers.  I didn't know they called the first
distribution Warty because they thought it would have plenty of warts
(i.e. bugs).  They were surprised when it turned out to be pretty stable.
- I listened to bits of other free presentations, but was not as
interested as in the Ubuntu one.
- The big, expensive, conference set pieces I gave a miss.  £80?  Nah.
- Talked for some time to the people from the Linux Professional
Institute, who confirmed what we already know about LPI.  They said that
IBM's tutorials on the net are as good as anything available in book form.

Main conclusions:
- Nothing surprising, or of which we do not already have an inkling.
- Quite confirmatory of what we already know, think, do – which is
pleasant (and confirming).
- Worth 50 minutes on the underground, and waiting 20 mins for a train
from Earl's Court to Olympia.
- But only worth the trip from Scarborough if you really wanted an early
start, an expensive outing, and a day or two in London (with the Expo as
an interesting incidental).

Hope to see you on 6th Nov
Martin