[SLUG] Re: Back-up

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sun Oct 29 21:45:52 GMT 2006

> Hi
>
> Are you sure that you need all this back-up?  This rule seems silly to
> me.  On
> a Unix system, most of what you need is on the installation discs, or
> if it
> is added software, it is in the usr directory, and you should have
> this on
> CD's.  The only bit that needs regular back-up is your home directory,
> and in
> my case, as I mostly deal with text files, I can put this on a floppy.
>
> Bob

Well, it's all work stuff and I'd have thought the same, given that
I'm a web developer most of my files should be small, but I seem to
have about 15Gb of data from somewhere. But sure, a differential
backup would sort the wheat from the chaff.

If I'm honest though, given that most of my work is thrown onto a
distant web server somewhere in Lancashire or Texas, what I'm aiming
to do is back up all that data once a month, then I can throw the old
one at my mum, keep the latest and I'm pretty much covered.
Differential backup seems like too much fuss.

But yes, lots of data. There are some bits of video, but not much I'd
have thought. Dunno, maybe there is.