[SLUG] Re: Back-up

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Oct 29 21:02:13 GMT 2006

On Saturday 28 October 2006 12:15, John wrote:

> One rule was, partition your hard drive into partitions the same size
> as your backup medium (DVD in this case, 4.7Gb), so I did that.
>
> 4.7Gb gets quickly filled, even though I'm not really an audio/video
> person. So that requires maintenance.
>
> Now I've 15 partitions and it turns out that's the most I can have. So
> while I might have a 150Gb drive, I'm only using half of it.
>
> The problem I have now is with backup. The whole idea is that I'm
> supposed to just be able to back up a partition to a DVD drive. That
> worked for the first one which is probably only 13% full, but the
> second complained there wasn't enough room in the partition to make
> the image file. That one's still only 69% full.

Hi

Are you sure that you need all this back-up?  This rule seems silly to me.  On
a Unix system, most of what you need is on the installation discs, or if it
is added software, it is in the usr directory, and you should have this on
CD's.  The only bit that needs regular back-up is your home directory, and in
my case, as I mostly deal with text files, I can put this on a floppy.

Bob