[SLUG] Backup

Gavin Baker gavbaker at acm.org
Sun Oct 29 22:26:49 GMT 2006

On 29 Oct 2006, at 18:46, Stephen O'Neill wrote:

> Gavin Baker wrote:
>> Personally, for a 150GB drive, I wouldn't partition it at all.
>> Well, I
>> would have a swap partition rather than use a swap file, but
>> however you
>> chop it up, chances are you are gonna end up with spare space
>> where you
>> don't need it, and a full partition where you do.
>
> I do recommend partitioning off /home - particularly if you're
> going to
> hop distros. I'm not ready to settle down and have little hibrid
> distro/human babies just yet.

It does make distro hopping simpler, but I would rather mess around
trying to convince the installer not to touch /home than end up out
of space on one of the partitions.. (never again!) 150GB isn't very
big if your media mad... I *would* have a seperate /home with 750GB
drives though.

LVM with a nice filesystem is great. You can grow and shrink the
filesystems (some without even unmounting them). So it removes all
the inherited trouble of partitioning schemes.

Hibrid distro--human babies don't sound that scary :)

Gav