[SLUG] Backup

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sun Oct 29 22:49:25 GMT 2006

> john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>> Does anyone want to recommend some simple backup software .. I don't
>> need network backup.
>
> I use DAR (http://dar.linux.free.fr/) because it supports
> incremental/differential backup strategies.

Thanks, I've installed that.

Now then. I'm running this command:

dar -c /media/cdrecorder -s 4700M -S 95M -p -b -z -R
/home/John/oldWork/ -X "*~" -X ".*~" -X "*.*.dar"

which takes the contents of /home/John/oldWork, 784Mb of stuff in a
7.8G partition and puts it onto my DVD drive.

Except it doesn't.

It dies with "No space left on device".

I need a top level understanding. Does dar write to a DVD drive? I see
no mention of that and I worry that it needs some sort of other
drivers to do that. It seems to want to write to things like tapes or
zip drives. Could that error be that it's not finding it possible to
write to the DVD.

Or, does dar need space to put a temporary file, and if so, where's it
putting that? I'm running dar from a terminal in the partition I want
to archive (but that's OK because the last option makes sure I don't
backup my backup), so there should be enough space.

One thing that worries me is that my /home partition is now showing
itself to be very nearly full. Is dar putting a file there, and if so
where is it? I can't see it. And if it is, why isn't my /home
partition completely full? And if it isn't, I really do need to
re-organise my partitions, and to do that I ought to do a backup.

Ooh, my / is very almost full too. Jeez. This may be my last message :-)