[SLUG] Setting up Epson Stylus C48

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 07:35:18 BST 2006

> Hey John, thank yee for your reply =) I forgot to mention that the
> computer did recognise the printer as soon as I plugged it in, but
> then it all went tits up when I went through all the subsequent set-up
> stuff =(

So, if it recognised the printer straight away, why did you do any
subsequent set-up stuff? Did it recognise the printer and did it
print? Or did it recognise the printer but not print? What happened
after it recognised the printer when you tried to print. Cus I'm
thinking, ideally, it should have plugged and played.

>  I can't make the meeting this wednesday but I would like to bring
it to the
> next meeting if I have no luck =) then everyone can marvel at the
> monstrosity of my evil machine! I'm sure it would make an interesting
> case study!

I'm sure they'd like to see it

> I'll see if anyone else comes up with any suggestions too. What was
> the address for that CUPS thingy we were using for the other printer?

Not sure what you mean ..

There's the Linux printing howto <http://www.linuxprinting.org/> with
its CUPS quick start <http://www.linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html>
which has the CUPS address at step 5.

Question for the group: how do we search through archived messages?
I've found this <http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/scarborough/> but
there's no search so you have to work through the months which isn't
really usable if you just want to know who last tried to sort out
printing using SUSE or whatever.

I tried a google search like this: marzipan
site:http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/scarborough/ with the
intention of finding all of Lucy's messages (she's marzipan@~~~~~),
but it came back nothing, which I assumed is because actually the
store isn't in that directory but in a month subdirectory.

So, is there a way, and Steve, if there is, perhaps you could write a
note on it on the mailing list page on the website.

> I'm sooo proud of myself for being brave enough to email the linux
> group =)

I'm really pleased you did, but you probably should keep the 'thread'
in the list so others can watch progress. If you break off to ask me
something, and I reply, then you have two threads going on, and the
SLUG people can't see ours. So what you start in SLUG has to continue
in SLUG. Of course, personal stuff .. party invites, compliments on my
hairstyle, that sort of thing, should come to me direct, outside SLUG,
or they get very jealous.