[SLUG] Re: Re: Website

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Sep 11 11:11:03 BST 2006

On Sunday 10 September 2006 12:15, Dave wrote:

> > My suggestion  is that after each meeting someone write a short account
> > for the website to be known as the SLUG log, or slog.  We could take
> > turns. Here is my effort for Wednesday.
> >
> > *************************************************************************
> >**************
> >
> > At the meeting on Wednesday, at the Valley, the main event was a talk by
> > Jonathan Worthington  ..................
>

> This sounds like it's crying out for a blog.  Assuming that the slug box
> supports php and mysql, then Wordpress (http://wordpress.com/ |
> http://mu.wordpress.org/) supports multiple users.  Once this is setup,
> then it would be fairly easy for all of us to contribute without much
> effort.

Sounds ok to me, but  for clarity and for the sanity of the of the
website administrator, some simple guidelines should be adhered to.  Not more
that 200 words and all contributions to be sent in by, say, the first Tuesday
after the meeting to which they refer.

Here is the corrected contribution, with website.

At the meeting on Wednesday, at the Valley, the main event was a talk by
Jonathan Worthington  called "Inside Virtual Machines".  It covered what they
are, why they're good, how the various bits of them work (at a fairly high
level) and a bit of what it's like to work on one.  He mentioned the .Net
CLR, the Java Virtual Machine and Parrot. Java is the one most people have on
their computer, but it's slow.  Parrot is the one he works on, and he
explained ways in which it is being made to run faster.  You can find the
text on Johnathan's website at:  http://www.jwcs.net/~jonathan/articles.shtml

Question I should have asked, but didn't.

How well does Parrot work with tools like Qt and Tk which are used with many
computer languages?

Best beers of the evening.

Morgans "Bishop's Revenge", and a beer flavoured with tayberries called
"Roisen", made by the Craigmill brewery who make the well known Fraoch
(heather) ale.