[SLUG] Beginners class

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Sep 20 10:13:55 BST 2006

Hi people

David suggested we do something for beginners and I imagined this:

I put out some publicity looking for people who want to learn how to
use Linux at home with the aim of getting maybe 5 to 10 people.

We dedicate the first hour of our meetings to them.

I/we create a programme of lectures or tutorials in which we, month by
month, go through the steps to getting Linux up and running. I'm
thinking maybe:

Choosing a distribution (go away, look into them, get a few, run the
live distros)

Installation issues: disc space/installing a new disc, dual booting or
not, backing up your data, what software do you run atm and what do
you need in future, compatible/incompatible hardware (go away and
prepare your machine)

Installation: granted this is three months later, but I'd defend that.

Then on through setting up things like mp3/dvd, printers, any other
issues people have, and demos of the most common software and what you
can do with them. Make the programme last twelve months and then we
just start all over again.

I'm half prepared to manage this process and even to run those
demo's/lectures, but as you well know my knowledge is limited in some
areas so I would want your support at various times. For instance, the
installfest in month three would require various hands-on, and there
will be problem issues with hardware that might require us all to put
our minds to solving it. There's also the issue of someone being my
backup in case of illness or double-booking.

What do people think?