[SLUG] cron

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 18 15:57:09 BST 2006

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> I've set up my first cron job on a remote web server. I wanted it to
> run a php web page. I hadn't thought that, obviously that's not going
> to happen (my php page would need to be interpreted by a web server
> before it comes alive).

You can run a php file from the command line.

Assuming that php is in your path (whereis php) then you can do:

php myfile.php

However, this won't run your file in the full apache web environment
with all the environment variables etc - because php isn't being run by
apache, it's being run by your shell.

If you need this then look at wget:

wget www.example.com/somefile.php

Hope that helps,