[SLUG] Silent failure as normal user

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 12:02:06 BST 2006

Hi all,

I have a simple problem, but don't know of a simple solution:

I have an extension for Firefox called "HTML Validator". It uses some
objects compiled in C which use shared libraries on my machine.

When I run this extension as a normal user I get silent failures - ie.
nothing happens. When I run it as root it works.

So, clearly I have permissions awry.

I have a list of shared objects which the extension requires. But, I
don't want to start removing restrictions on files willy-nilly -
particularly as this approach could be exponential.

If I was in windows I'd use "filemon" which shows every filesystem
access along with the outcome - success/access denied etc.

What do I do if I'm in Linux?

It may be that it just won't work as a normal user, but that would be a
shame.

Thanks in advance,

Steve O