[SLUG] Re: Beginners' class

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 10:52:57 BST 2006

John wrote:

> I/we create a programme of lectures or tutorials in which we, month by
> month, go through the steps to getting Linux up and running. I'm
> thinking maybe:
>
> Choosing a distribution (go away, look into them, get a few, run the
> live distros)
>
> Installation issues: disc space/installing a new disc, dual booting or
> not, backing up your data, what software do you run atm and what do
> you need in future, compatible/incompatible hardware (go away and
> prepare your machine)
>
> Installation: granted this is three months later, but I'd defend that.
>
> Then on through setting up things like mp3/dvd, printers, any other
> issues people have, and demos of the most common software and what you
> can do with them. Make the programme last twelve months and then we
> just start all over again.

This sounds OK, but ambitious.  Could have a short discussion on partitioning,
(particularly non-destructive) at the next meeting.  Do we have a resident
expert on say, GNU Parted?  I seem to remember someone saying at a meeting
that their windows installation disc destroyed all partitions on their disc
which would make dual booting hard..

There is a Linux distribution choice tool on:

www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

Bob