[SLUG]Scanner setup

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sun Apr 29 13:02:58 BST 2007

>> On Friday 20 April 2007 21:19, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>>> Hi ppl
>>>
>>> My UMAX scanner stopped working .. I
>>> bought an Epson V350 phot  .. I plugged it in and nothing's
>>> happened.
>
>>Thanks, did
> <http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/linux.html>.
>
>>They don't say it works with FC6, but does with FC5. When
>> downloading, I had
> the option of 'other' so I chose that and installed it.

(FC5 choice results in same file choices)

>>Now the Scanner Tool says 'no devices available'.
>
>>Moving further through the installation manual, it says "If hotplug
>> is
> installed on your system ... ". I tried "man hotplug" and there isn't
> a page.
>
>>How do I know if hotplug is installed on my system? I'm using FC6.

> Check to see if a firmware file has been loaded
> into  /usr/share/sane/snapscan/. I'm running SuSE 10.2 but I suspect
> the
> directories will be similar for FC6

There's no snapscan file anywhere on my system.

> Mine is ESFW30.BIN for the Epson 1670. I'm not certain if it is the
> same one
> for the V350. The necessary file will be on your Windows set-up disk
> but
> probably  buried in a .CAB file in the /epscan/ directory and you will
> need
> software like "unshield" to extract it. I'm sure it must also
> available for
> download somewhere though.

Not sure what to do about that, presumably I've a failed installation
on my hands, not sure how to manually install a file in a Windows CAB
file.

> Check also to see if any change has been made to
> /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf

No, no changes made (ls -l shows last date 2006).

> The third line down must be uncommented and show the location of the
> firmware
> file. Also, if you are using a USB connection, a couple of lines
> further down
> you will need to uncomment the line /dev/usb/scanner...............

Ah, OK here's the first part of my file:

# Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if
# firmware upload is needed by the scanner
firmware /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin

# If not automatically found you may manually specify a device name.

# For USB scanners also specify bus=usb, e.g.
# /dev/usb/scanner0 bus=usb

# For SCSI scanners specify the generic device, e.g. /dev/sg0 on Linux.
# /dev/sg0

> As long as you have the correct firmware file on your system in the
> right
> place and the file snapscan.conf is correct everything should work ok.
>
> Good luck

Thanks, OK, so I'll try to work out the CAB thing then or try to find
a download. What is it? A driver file?