[SLUG]Scanner setup

Pete Redwood predwood at phonecoop.coop
Fri Apr 27 15:08:20 BST 2007

<http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/linux.html>.

>They don't say it works with FC6, but does with FC5. When downloading, I had
the option of 'other' so I chose that and installed it.

>Now the Scanner Tool says 'no devices available'.

>Moving further through the installation manual, it says "If hotplug is
installed on your system ... ". I tried "man hotplug" and there isn't a page.

>How do I know if hotplug is installed on my system? I'm using FC6.

>Maybe I'll try the FC5 one.

>Cheers

Check to see if a firmware file has been loaded
into  /usr/share/sane/snapscan/. I'm running SuSE 10.2 but I suspect the
directories will be similar for FC6

Mine is ESFW30.BIN for the Epson 1670. I'm not certain if it is the same one
for the V350. The necessary file will be on your Windows set-up disk but
probably  buried in a .CAB file in the /epscan/ directory and you will need
software like "unshield" to extract it. I'm sure it must also available for
download somewhere though.

Check also to see if any change has been made to /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf
The third line down must be uncommented and show the location of the firmware
file. Also, if you are using a USB connection, a couple of lines further down
you will need to uncomment the line /dev/usb/scanner...............

As long as you have the correct firmware file on your system in the right
place and the file snapscan.conf is correct everything should work ok.

Good luck
--
Regards
Pete