[SLUG] Fw: How is yous new laptop?

Bob Garrood rjg at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Dec 14 21:33:21 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 00:20:39 DAVID KNIGHT wrote:
> Call this a mini-review of the new penguin powered Asus EEE PC, currently
> around £229 (if you can find one)
>
> Hi, yes I did get it last week. I've only powered it up to test it so far
> as it's a christmas present for my son Nigel. It has a very small keyboard
> and mouse which takes some getting used to but it's tiny! A few mild gripes
> include no WPA2 option encryption (just had to change the encryption to WPA
> but may limit roaming capability) Very basic user interface (perfect for
> kids, also very hackable, see www.eeeuser.com) and small screen size
> (800x480). As this is destined for my son I haven't tried to hack it...yet,
> but I can definitely see me flashing the bios to overclock the CPU,
> changing to advanced mode (and probably changing distro to gentoo/arch). It
> is great for word processing on the move, watching videos, playing music,
> internet access, flash games, pdf's, slideshows and presentations (output
> via VGA so can link to projector). The EEE is an apt-get away from a
> multitude of functions.
>
> The model is the 4G with webcam, 7"screen, 600Mhz celeron (rated 900Mhz
> hence easy overclocking), 512Mb DDR2 RAM, Wifi (No bluetooth or 3G), 4GB
> storage (reduced to just under 2GB with Xandros OS). Additional storage is
> available via USB HDD and SD/MMC slot. It is also incredibly light (under
> 1kg).

Hi

Any chance you can liberate it from your son, and bring it to the SLG meeting
at the blind centre on January 8th?  I would certainly like to see it, and it
would be a big attraction.

I might even abandon my Green princlples and junk my 8lb, 7 year- old, PII
Panasonic, even though it it works perfectly, and buy one.

Bob