[SLUG] Epson Scanner and Fedora Core 6

John Allsopp john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Dec 31 14:29:08 GMT 2007

Hi people

Hope Christmas was good and you have fun tonight.

I've a question. I've tried to solve this myself but I'm getting nowhere.

I bought an Epson Perfection V350 Photo scanner a while back in the
belief that it was Linux friendly. It works on Windows, but I haven't
got it to work in my Fedora Core 6 yet.

The manual says it should just plug and play. Epson provides software to
run on Linux, iScan. I've installed that and it just says "Could not
send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status".

Having done all that, Epson's help by email says "Linux. You're kidding,
right? Noooo, we don't provide drivers for that."

Plug and play works, because it wakes up when I plug my camera into the
USB port.

So I'm feeling like this is a 'plug and play can't recognise my scanner'
issue.

Does anyone know where I should be looking and what I need to know more
about to get closer to fixing this?

My SANE is 1.0.18. My kernel 2.6.20.

The manual says "with hoplug support in version 1.14.0" (of what, it
doesn't say), "libusb has become the default. If hotplug is installed on
your system, then you should not have to configure anything. Just
connect your scanner, turn it on, and start iscan". Sure thing.

There are no scanner modules loaded into my kernel, getting in the way
of anything.

And it talks about using the kernel's scanner module as "the old
fashioned way", so I'd rather not head backwards.

I did download a live CD of Fedora 8 but it's skimpy enough not to know
if that would solve things. It didn't have any scanner support.

All help appreciated.

Cheers