[SLUG] SLG for newbies

Bob Garrood rjg at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Dec 18 17:16:22 GMT 2007

Hi

Just to say that arrangements for the SLG meetings aimed at newbies  are going
ahead,  even though they have been delayed.

An interesting article, which seems to me to explain the biggest threat to
open source since software patents is on:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/4265

If you Google  "death of Microsoft" there are over 4 million entries.

Here is the text for the second poster.  Please abuse.

"
Scarborough Linux Group is putting on a series of meetings to show why Linux
is a better way to use computers.

Linux is the green alternative for computers.  If you, or your family, use a
computer, you should bear in mind that a computer that uses Linux can last
twice as long as computers with other operating systems.  This takes pressure
off landfill sites and has a smaller carbon footprint than more commercial
alternatives.  If you want to sustain the planet, you can start researching
this topic at: http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9831566-16.html

SLG (Scarborough Linux Group) meetings will begin by concentrating on 3
different Linux distributions.  We chose them to show 3 good reasons to use
LInux.

Do you have an antique, useless computer?  Does it just give a blue screen, or
say "software error" when you switch it on?  Puppy Linux could be your
answer.  It comes as a live CD, running from the cdrom drive, and it can even
work on machines whose hard drive has failed.

Do you have a slightly younger machine with less memory than modern commercial
systems seem to need?  Slackware is the oldest Linux distribution, but it
uses "state of the art" software.  It is harder than some of the
alternatives, but it it will teach you and your children principles that have
been used in computer science for 30-40 years.  When you were taught
Pythagoras theorem at school, you acquired knowledge that has lasted 2500
years.  When your children are taught to use PowerPoint in primary school,
they have a skill that will be out of date before they get a job.

Do you want the latest operating system, with the style to impress your
trendiest friends?  You need to have, or buy, a reasonably new machine.  This
means, for example, at least 384Mb of memory (RAM), whereas the Slackware
runs in 128Mb (or even 64).   If so, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon is for you.

If you want more information you can find it by coming to our meetings, the
next is on January 8th (7.00pm) at the Blind centre, 183 Dean Road (please
use the side entrance in Roseville Avenue) , but usually these will be on the
first Monday of each month.  We have social meetings on the third Monday of
every month at the Valley pub.

You can also look on the web at: http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/