[SLUG] Tonight's meeting

Fintan Gaughan fgaughan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 11:21:27 GMT 2007

On 06/02/07, john at johnallsopp.co.uk <john at johnallsopp.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi ppl
>
> It's SLUG tonight, but it's one of the ones I can't attend. But since
> I'm organising the meetings, I didn't want to not send the reminder
> email.
>
> I recognise I'm not doing a grand job of organising the meetings, so
> if anyone else fancies a go, that's cool, but I'm happy to carry on
> otherwise.
>
> Tonights subject should be Mono, since that's the main feature in the
> Feb edition of Linux Format.
>
> On another note, I'm getting a very old (Windows 3.11) laptop back
> from the repairers today, anyone got any recommendations for
> distributions for it? And I think the main way in is floppy disc .. is
> that possible?

If you got broadband and you have access to windows click on this
website http://goodbye-microsoft.com/ to install Debian.
(Warning to windows users clicking on install will download the debian.exe file)

what is does is install a small debian.exe file then you chose either
graphical or text-mode when you  reboot the machine you have a
selection which os to choose.
when selecting Debain for first time you have a choice of partition or
fully install Debain (like we all did with other OS's)
then it installs Debian from internet took me 40 minute and you only
have to do than once of course.

see screen shot here http://goodbye-microsoft.com/screenshots/

I have done this and it worked well impressed!!

note there is a ubunto one like this but you will have to google it

Fintan