[SLUG] Backup

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 09:55:50 GMT 2007

> I'm reading back through all the postings called "Backup", and I can't
> actually see exactly what it is you are trying to do.

OK, here's the goal.

As a web developer, huge amounts of my work go straight to a web
server somewhere else, so I'm not hugely fussed by daily backups, so
I'm currently just trying to establish a monthly dump of my home
directory to DVD.

It will span many DVDs, so what I really want to do is press a button,
put in a DVD, and then get prompted to swap DVDs until I'm done.

Ideally, since that will take a while, I assume, and I'll have to
stick around to swap discs, I'd like the system to be usable while
that's happening. But that's a nice to have. So long as it doesn't
take, say, more than half an hour, I could find something interesting
to read.

However, once that's done, if it's easy, a differential weekly backup
would be a nice thing to progress to.

And if I can manage that, I may well back up my whole system at least
once a blue moon.