[SLUG] Backup

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Tue Jan 2 21:48:22 GMT 2007

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>>> Does anyone want to recommend some simple backup software .. I don't
>>> need network backup.
>> I use DAR (http://dar.linux.free.fr/) because it supports
>> incremental/differential backup strategies.
>>
>> My automated scripts use SARAB (http://sarab.sourceforge.net/) and
>> when
>> I want a GUI I use KDAR (http://kdar.sourceforge.net/).
>>
>> Steve O
>
> So having upgraded my whole installation to get a possibility of DAR
> working, I'm currently at the point where:
>
> 1) I want a system that backs up to DVD
> 2) DAR seems not to interface with the DVD drive at all. I'm expecting
> to be able to point DAR to, for instance, /mnt/CD, but having put a
> DVD disc in the drive, and seen it pop up on the desktop, I can't for
> the life of me work out where it's mounted .. any clues?
> 3) Online tutorials seem to suggest that DAR will happily create the
> split backup files that you can burn to DVD later. Nope, I want it
> burned to DVD while I do nothing but change discs every now and then.
> 4) Online resources suggest DAR is something that will max my CPU and
> render my PC useless while operating. You may have read my previous
> posts about that. I'd rather not. Do we know a way to control that?

I'm sorry, John, if I'm way behind you, and don't answer if I am, but ...

I'm reading back through all the postings called "Backup", and I can't
actually see exactly what it is you are trying to do.

I kind of got the impression that you wanted an automated backup system,
so that you could drop a DVD-R into the drive, press a button, go away
for a week, and, at some point, whilst you were away, scripts n stuff
would accomplished a backup - hey presto!

But, reading back, that doesn't seem to be what you are saying.
Besides, even if you were, it wouldn't make sense to me.

On the other hand, you don't seem to be saying "How do you transfer all
your important files to a DVD-R?" because then someone would have said
"use K3b", or something like that, which I'm assuming you've been doing
with ease since the age of six.

If it's not too great a bore, could you poss, in three well-formed
sentences, restate the prob so that even I can understand it?  I might
learn something.

Martin