[SLUG] Re:meetings

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 10:54:55 BST 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007 12:15, scarborough-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:

 Tuesday's [SLUG] Meeting again (DAVID KNIGHT)

> Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:16:09 +0100 (BST)
> From: DAVID KNIGHT <davidknight24 at btinternet.com>
> Subject: Tuesday's [SLUG] Meeting again
> To: Scarborough Linux User Group <scarborough at mailman.lug.org.uk>

>   Tuesdays meeting had one attendee, me. Not wanting to appear peculiar, I
> decided not to talk to myself and instead enjoyed a nice dark ale (not sure
> of the name but it comes from Malton) and some light reading, which was
> nice.
>
>   An update for anyone interested, Compriz/Beryl is now called Compriz
> Fusion, view the latest video here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w
>   Beats the pants of Vista if you ask me. It will even work smoothly with
> my aged Radeon 7500LE AGP card.
>
>   On the subject of 'build your own distro' I would appreciate it if anyone
> can advise me on the locations of the Gnome configuration files and any
> advice on how to configure them (if anyone knows a good Howto website
> please let me know).

Hi

SLUG's next meeting is due on Monday 6th August.  It will have at least one
member present, (me).  Thanks for turning up, David.  If you, or anyone else,
wants to come to the next meeting,  the date and time are rather like the
Scarborough FC joke: when can you get there?

We can talk about topics for future meetings.  As well as those you prepared
for Tuesday, I suggest the following as suitable for short  discussions aimed
at beginners.

KOffice vs OpenOffice, why avoid the fullest feature alternative?

Upgrading to 64-bit.  What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Freecycle.  Can you get a computer for (virtually) nothing.

Comments and suggestions for reading are welcome, even from those not
intending to attend.

Bob