[SLUG] BBC iPlayer petition

Fintan Gaughan fgaughan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 13:57:18 BST 2007

My comments between..

On 30/07/07, Stephen O'Neill <soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> > There are 9 Million of Deaf and Hard of Hearing  to reply on subtitles!
>
> That is a disappointing state of affairs - I hope that they will resolve
> it before they move out of beta, that clearly being far more important
> than the whole DRM mallarky.

I agree but take a look on my blog how subtitles came about
http://finllfixit.co.uk/29/06/2007/ceefaxteletex/

> I only use subtitles for convenience on extremely rare occasions so it
> hadn't even occurred to me.
>
> Just out of interest, how comprehensive is the subtitle coverage for
> standard programmes on the tv? Is it better or worse with digital? How
> do the non-license fee channels fare?

BBC is committed  to subtitling 100% of BBC TV programmes from April 2008.
95% of BBC One and BBC Two is already subtitled, and 80% of BBC Three,
BBC Four, CBBC, CBeebies and BBC News 24.

how ever very poor in ITV and channel 4 cant remember the percentage.
for example if you watch coronation street on ITV1  but don't show
subtitles on ITV2 and ITV even if its a repeat of coronation street!

How ever alot have live subtitling to which we understand for up to
the minute news but shows like Top Gear or channel 4 F word pre
recorded programmes   the subtitles come on about 30 second to a 1
minute after its spoken.
Sometimes when advert comes on and back to show they forget to switch
adverts back on!

> Daft question time - are their alternative formats for radio broadcasts,
> particularly news type broadcasts?

 HOW LICENCE FEE OF £10.96 A MONTH IS SPENT
£7.54 - Eight national TV channels
£1.17 - Ten national radio stations
£1.01 - Transmitters and licence fee collection
75p - Forty local radio stations
49p - More than 240 websites

So as you see I pay £1.92 for radio that I will never use!!
and 49p spent on web which contain some videos which does not show subtitles!

How ever if I find out that a radio show was talking about Deaf issues
or CI (cochlear implants) Us Deaf people are against CI then we ask
for a transcript.
Usually the BBC provide transcript if we ask (funny enough not the CI
debate) but other radio channels.. they don't have the time!

> Oh, stupid question time: re. subtitles in VOB do you get two VOB
> downloads (one with and one without) or do players have a 'show/hide'
> subtitles so they're embedded separately from the video stream?

All subtitled carried separately over the air  they are never embedded
you need at least 95% clear reception other wise scrabbled subtitles.

But I have yet to test any VOD that contain subtitles so I couldn't
really tell you if they are embedded or not.
But my guess it will be carried separately.. no point complaining to
ofcom as they don't cover VOD

Fintan