[SLUG] BBC iPlayer petition

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 30 12:03:24 BST 2007

Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> There are 9 Million of Deaf and Hard of Hearing  to reply on subtitles!

That is a disappointing state of affairs - I hope that they will resolve
it before they move out of beta, that clearly being far more important
than the whole DRM mallarky.

I only use subtitles for convenience on extremely rare occasions so it
hadn't even occurred to me.

Just out of interest, how comprehensive is the subtitle coverage for
standard programmes on the tv? Is it better or worse with digital? How
do the non-license fee channels fare?

Daft question time - are their alternative formats for radio broadcasts,
particularly news type broadcasts?

Oh, stupid question time: re. subtitles in VOB do you get two VOB
downloads (one with and one without) or do players have a 'show/hide'
subtitles so they're embedded separately from the video stream?

Good luck,

Steve O