[SLUG] Ubuntu

Rob Hall rob at waylock.co.uk
Thu May 31 08:02:39 BST 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 15:41, John Allsopp wrote:

> Any comments?

I had been a big fan of the whole Redhat and then Fedora strand until FC4
which was, to my mind, a shocker of a release. I played around with Suse for
a while and then put Ubuntu on and I haven't really looked back since. It all
just seems to work. I am now using the Ubuntu 6.10 distro which was given
away with Linux Format 88 which installs everything so I actually use a KDE
session rather than the default of Gnome which Ubuntu uses.

Sound works, scanner works, updates work, Wine has never behaved better and my
machine (which is aging but no slacker - AMD XP 3000+ with 1.5Gb RAM and
about 600Gb hard disk drive space) feels like it has been given a new lease
of life.

There is nothing really to dislike about it for the way I use this machine.
File sharing with Samba is still a bit of an arse to set up (I share a big
music repositry with my kids who are running XP machines) but other than that
it is very nice indeed.

It blows the nasty, nasty Vista out of the water!

Long live the GUI :)

Rob Hall