[SLUG] Ubuntu

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 31 08:11:23 BST 2007

John Allsopp wrote:
> Now that I'm evidently not pursuing the LPI thing (not enough time)
> which wanted either Red Hat or Debian, preferably, and now that Fedora
> has proved itself to be flaky when it comes to updates .. I've not had
> sound for a while, and my scanner still doesn't work .. I'm half
> wondering whether to make the move to Ubuntu.
>
> Any comments?

I did this a couple of weeks ago as it happens. I bought a laptop and
have migrated my lamp+svn from FC5 to Ubuntu Feisty Fawn.

I now wish I'd not bothered with FC5 and installed Ubuntu some 18 months
ago or whenever it was.

There's plenty of support out there however I found virtually everything
worked out of the box and the Gnome setup is far better than the one I'd
been wrestling with in FC5.

One encouraging thing is that a lot of the "Ubuntu Guide" type things on
the wb say "to do x you need x, y, z" however I sat scratching my head
as the basic install had already done all that for me.

Apt is debian's package manager and it beats yum/rpm to the canvas in
the first round - it has so many applications, it's so fast and if you
type a command that isn't installed in your system it suggests a package
to install which provides it.

You will need to iron out some niggles as is always the case, I found
the following guide useful for a number of things and beyond that the
usual searches came up with plenty of results. This is aided by the
naming of the releases - rather than searching for "7.04" try "some
problem or other feisty" and you're almost guaranteed to get a relevant
solution, brill!

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

Steve O