[SLUG] Ubuntu

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 31 15:14:41 BST 2007

Pete wrote:
> My problem has been with Debian and Ubuntu that Gnome
> installations refuse to communicate with the network even though they are
> installed with 'netinstall'.

What do you mean by this? You specifically say Gnome which is what I'm
looking to clarify as I thought it was the kernel that handled
connecting to the network and Gnot Gnome? I suspose I'm interested to
know what your symptoms are.

I had a bit of network fun last night. I edited my hosts file so that I
could get sendmail running (it didn't like the address 'tl50' and wanted
  a dotted name like 'tl50.localdomain'). Oddly after that DNS just
seemed to magically stop working and I had to manually set the DNS
servers in /etc/resolv.conf.

Very odd.

Steve O