[SLUG] Distro info

bob bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 11:40:06 BST 2007

Hi

On Wednesday 05 September 2007 12:15, Ross wrote:
> I think sticking to the main free distros is a good idea:
>
>     * OpenSuse
>     * Ubuntu
>     * Fedora

At our meeting we discussed whether we should stick to one distribution, or
offer information and advice on a small number.  To my mind, world domination
by Ubuntu would be as bad as control by M********.  We fixed on the idea of
3-4 distros .  As I have used Slackware for 2 years, and I think one older
type distro should be included, and I can offer some advice, so I drafted the
following.
"SLACKWARE

General Description.
This is the oldest and most idiosyncratic distribution.  Slackware don't like
GNOME so they supply KDE plus about 6 other window managers.  They are
conservative, (still using the old 2.4 version of the kernel), but highly
stable.

Documentation.
This is one of the best for documentation.  You can download full installation
instructions and a printable manual.  There are a large number of online
sites from which you can get help.

Is it suitable for beginners?
This is disputable.  Many distributions, especially those given away free in
magazines say, put the CD in the drive, answer some questions, and you have
Linux.  This has not always been my experience.  Things can go wrong.  With
slackware, you can often do something about it, other installations can send
you bald.  I think it better to put up with a short learning curve.

Can you put it on a laptop.
Yes

Other major advantages.
Slackware works well with older, less powerful equipment.  Practically you can
manage with a system that has a Pentium II chip, 64 Megabytes of RAM, and
about 4 Gigabytes of hard disc space.

Where to find out more.
www.slackware.com"

We need 2- 3 more pieces of this length, in agreed form, written by people
with experience, who can supply answers.  This would need help from people
who can't get to meetings.  We can add a link to John's database.

Comments, suggestions, and objections welcome.

Bob