[SLUG] One-keystroke abbreviations.

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sun Sep 9 20:32:38 BST 2007

On Saturday 08 Sep 2007 21:10, John Allsopp wrote:

> The answer to getting Linux to use the technology you want is to
> volunteer to help people who want to make it happen.

Well, I once suggested, to no response, I believe, one big improvement to Open
Office.
Tho I never had the old Amstrad word processor, I heard from a lecturer that
it had a one-letter one-word function or program. I dont know how common this
feature is in modern word-processing programs, but Open Office does not
appear to have it. I forget now, I think you have to key in three letters
before Open Office comes out with a full word or sentence etc.

I read one Linux user say he missed the Keywords program that he could use
with Windows. But here again this is still an inefficient system for two
reasons. Firstly, you have to use two keystrokes. This means that there is no
advantage over writing two-letter words in full. But two-letter words are the
most common in the language.
Half of English consists of a hundred words used over and over again.
If you want a really efficient keywords system you should be able to use all
the letters of the alfabet at one stroke, followed by the space-bar, which
you have to use anyway to separate words.
The second reason keywords is inefficient is that you have to wait after every
abbreviated word to let the program reproduce the word in full.
Much more time-saving to have the program reproduce the full text from the
keyword text after youve finished composition.

from
Richard Lung.