[SLUG] One-keystroke abbreviations.

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Tue Sep 11 19:46:32 BST 2007

I should say that there is no definitive most used 100 words. They are all
samples subject to a marginal uncertainty. I doubt whether the word *happy*
would come up in another score or more representative samples. But the bulk
of grammatical words would appear in every sample. Sentences cannot do
without them.

What really prompted me to reply was that any such sample tends to have its
idiosyncrasies, which could do with tidying up. There are several here but
I'll just mention a few.
For instance, the short-hand writer is not interested in the relative
frequency of the different conjugations of irregular verbs. For example,
they'd just give the one letter /b/ for: be am is are. There are a limited
number of alfabet letters to go round for the most frequent words.
The past tense of *be*: was/were ( *was* occurs with nearly one per cent
frequency) shouldnt be omitted from the 100 words, as it is in this sample.
Likewise the crucial grammatical word *will* (which can also serve for
*shall*) which occurs with about 0.2% frequency.

 - Words cut for speed in the *Computer age* by Professor Abe Citron -
( the back number of the spelling publications, this appeared in, have been
put online.)
 This compiled lists of 1, 2, 3, 4,.. letter abbreviations for the most common
words. One and two letter words and words abbreviated to one and two letters,
52 words, make up 30% of words needed to read and write English at high
school level.

from
Richard Lung.