[SLUG] Epson Scanner and Fedora Core 6

Matthew Toseland toad at amphibian.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 2 11:29:51 GMT 2008

http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=Epson&model=+Perfection+V350+Photo+scan&bus=any&v=&p=

> Yers, not sure what that's telling me. Is it saying my scanner is
> supported by SANE to a 'good' level? Seems fair.
>
> But what's:
>
> Perfection V350 PHOTO 	USB 	0x04b8/0x012f 	good 	requires DFSG non-free
> iscan-plugin-gt-f700<br>overseas version of the GT-F700
>
> 0x04b8/0x012f : it feels like that's useful, but I don't know what to do
> with it.
>
> This "requires DFSG non-free iscan-plugin-gt-f700<br>overseas version of
> the GT-F700" may as well be Greek. Is it saying I need iscan? Fair
> enough, I bought the scanner, so I have that. DFSG? 'overseas version'
> ... overseas from where? GT-F700? I'm not being awkward, I just don't
> know what all that's telling me.

Non-DFSG = non-free; encumbered in some way. It probably won't be in the main
repository, but there might be a non-free package you can get. Sorry I don't
know Fedora; in Debian it would be a matter of editing sources.list and
adding the non-free repository. DFSG = Debian Free Software Guidelines.
Determines what Debian considers to be free software. And yes this is Fedora
so it might be in Fedora, but there's a good chance it isn't.

Overseas version of course means non-US, sadly it is still the center of the
universe for some people. :|