[SLUG] Epson Scanner and Fedora Core 6

John Allsopp john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 12:11:26 GMT 2008

 > On Monday 31 December 2007 14:28:40 John Allsopp wrote:

 >> I bought an Epson Perfection V350 Photo scanner a while back in the
 >> belief that it was Linux friendly. It works on Windows, but I haven't
 >> got it to work in my Fedora Core 6 yet.

 >> The manual says it should just plug and play. Epson provides software to
 >> run on Linux, iScan. I've installed that and it just says "Could not
 >> send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status".

 >> Plug and play works, because it wakes up when I plug my camera into the
 >> USB port.

 >> My SANE is 1.0.18. My kernel 2.6.20.

 > Pete Redwood wrote:
> The following are the instructions for tweaking on Ubuntu:
> Edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf, replacing epson with epkowa (yes, I’m serious).

OK, here's the last bit of my dll.conf, epson is still commented above

# The following backends are not included in the sane-backends distribution
# If you want to use them, download them from their webpages and read their
# documentation
#
# HP OfficeJet backend homepage: http://hpoj.sf.net/
# Uncomment the following line if hpoj is installed:
#hpoj
#hpaio
hpaio
epkowa

So there's epkowa, so I didn't change that.

> add the following to /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules:
>
> # Epson Perfection v350
>
> SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="012f", MODE="664",
> GROUP="scanner"

OK, there wasn't a V350 entry in this file, so here's what's there now:

# EPSON GT-X900 | EPSON Perfection V700 | EPSON Perfection V750
SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="012c", SYMLINK+="scanner-%k"
# EPSON Perfection v350
SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="012f", MODE="664",
GROUP="scanner"
# EPSON CC-600PX | EPSON Stylus CX5100 | EPSON Stylus CX5200 | EPSON
Stylus CX5300 | EPSON Stylus CX5400 | Epson CX-5200 | Epson CX-5400

I just went to check those numbers against the SANE supported scanners
list, found this <http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON>
and the 350 isn't listed. So is that the issue? Yet Mike found it
supported in Sane search.

> And I think that’s about it. Make sure you’re in the scanner group, and run:
> scanimage -L
Did that, no difference. I'll try a reboot just in case.

I'll work on understanding the SANE stuff, there's a SANE backend
feeling about this.

Cheers