[SLUG] Epson Scanner and Fedora Core 6

John Allsopp john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 13:35:01 GMT 2008

John Allsopp wrote:
>  > On Monday 31 December 2007 14:28:40 John Allsopp wrote:
>
>  >> I bought an Epson Perfection V350 Photo scanner a while back in the
>  >> belief that it was Linux friendly. It works on Windows, but I haven't
>  >> got it to work in my Fedora Core 6 yet.

>  > Pete Redwood wrote:
>> The following are the instructions for tweaking on Ubuntu:
>> Edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf, replacing epson with epkowa (yes, I’m
>> serious).
>
>> add the following to /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules:
>>
>> # Epson Perfection v350
>>
>> SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="012f", MODE="664",
>> GROUP="scanner"

> I'll work on understanding the SANE stuff, there's a SANE backend
> feeling about this.

OK, got it sorted now, thanks.

I started working through SANE stuff and got to grips with the comment
here
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=epson&model=v350&bus=usb&v=&p=
that says it "requires DFSG non-free iscan-plugin-gt-f700<br>overseas
version of the GT-F700" which didn't make much sense.

It turns out, iscan-plugin ... is software that I downloaded along with
the instructions and another piece of software. The instructions tell me
to install the other piece of software not this. So, I installed the
iscan-plugin software and bingo.

Now, you may think I've been stupid. You may have installed that
software without thinking. I like to follow the instructions .. rtfm,
right? So if the instructions don't say to do something, I won't tend to
  do it. I wondered whether the first software automatically installed
the second.

Anyway, thanks for all your helps, I'm good now :-)

Cheers

PS. Did I say happy new year? Happy new year.