[SLUG] Linux meeting

Bob Garrood rjg at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Jan 9 21:17:47 GMT 2008

Hi

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 17:57:56 David Knight wrote:
> I will also attend with impress (ie not powerpoint) presentation and
> EEE. I have done a rough and ready presentation on green computing. Non
> attenders are welcome to the slides when I've finished it.

We ended up having 2 meetings, on Monday and Tuesday because of my balls up with the SEN story.  No newbies appeared, but perhaps that was due to cold weather.  It also needed more work to get some advance publicity than I imagined.  As an example, I got Tesco to put up a poster, but they then moved a display counter in front of it a few days later.  David D-S distributed posters around local shops.

We can try again next month.  The date would be Monday 4th February.  Hopefully the presentation David mentions above could be used then.  In any case they could go on the website.  Our social meeting at the Valley will be at 7.45pm on Monday 21st January, and we can discuss it there.

In fact there were things of interest at both meetings.  Among them the live CD with KDE4 (rc1) from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/KDE-4-Live-CD-Download-26097.html This looks very good, but I am waiting for a full slackware package to install.  David K bought along the new eee pc, which looks really neat.  I want one but I think that if I do I will need to dispose of my old Panasonic Toughbook (I can't own 3 computers), and I want to see if I can fit  KDE4 into a 6 year old machine first.  So I will have to wait.  Amazingly there are bizarre types out there who want to replace the Linux OS on the eee with XP.  Talk about being in denial.

Bob