[SLUG] new member

Bob_Garrood rjg at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jan 29 14:50:20 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 13:38:25 guy baumann wrote:

> I recently joined the mailing list and hope to attend the next meeting,
> though may depend on the imminent birth of my latest progeny.
>
> I am a relative novice with linux, I used to mess around with suse a few
> years ago and have become reacquainted with my recent purchase of an asus
> eee,  which I absolutely adore.
>
> I was wondering what you get upto  in the meetings, how any turn up etc. do
> you bring hardware along?

Hi Guy

SLUG meetings are changing, basically because most of the previous members
left town.  We refer to them as SLG meetings, partly to discriminate between
the meetings and the wider SLUG community which runs and uses the website and
mailing list, and partly in an attempt to attract new users who might be put
off by the association with creatures that leave slime trails and make
unsightly holes in cabbages.

We have an informal structure at the moment as we are trying to attract new
and inexperienced members.  At the last meeting technical 5 members turned
up, and we discussed various new and established distros which are set up on
the machines at the Blind Centre.  It looks like our next technical meeting
will be at the Valley pub (end of Valley Rd), as David Dartnall-Smith, who
runs the Blind Centre has gone on holiday.  I will post a definite notice on
this soon.

We do bring laptops along for comparison, and it appears that the next meeting
could turn into an asus eee fan club.  I've just bought one, so do bring one
along if you can.  So the next meeting will be next Monday, at the Valley,
but when we start is a bit like the old Derby County FC joke, "when can you
get there?".

Hope to see you then.

Bob