[SLUG] GPG key signing party

David Knight pandmscardk at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:58:19 GMT 2008

>> Enigmail's your badger for signing/encrypting in Thunderbird with GPG or
>> S/Mime.

I'm just coming up to speed on this so please excuse a basic question or
two. I installed Enigmail which prompted to install GnuPG which I have
done. I generated a key (didn't bother with a passphrase) for me. I can
now successfully send myself encrypted messages! The next question is do
I need to generate a certificate for every member of the company? How do
I share these certificates. Surely emailing them out will invalidate
their security?

>> I can offer nothing more than agreement with Steve's comments.  Perhaps
>> only that I've recently heard back from an experiment to determine how
>> Vista's version of OE deals with PGP/MIME signed email.  I can confirm
>> that it's still buggered!
>>
>> So OE and Windows live mail are the only two email clients I know of
>> that don't display PGP/MIME signatures correctly.

Only one person uses Outlook Express at present, and she's pretty taken
with Thunderbird so I don't think that'll be any major problem. I'm
determined to get my boss to appreciate the benefits of opensource. You
should have seen his expression when I told him it was all free with
unlimited licenses!