[SLUG] GPG key signing party

Matthew Toseland toad at amphibian.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 15 15:42:00 GMT 2008

On Saturday 15 March 2008 15:38, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> You can have a corporate PKI. You'd create a certificate authority, and use
> that to sign each employee's public key. Individual employees could either
> generate their own keys (which has the advantage/disadvantage that they can
> choose their own passphrase!), or you could generate them for them, but
> preferably do that on their workstation. Then export their pubkey, save it
on
> the USB stick (named by their email address), and sign them all. Then upload
> them and the signatures to the public servers, and anyone in the world can
> securely send a mail to them.

Sorry, I'm thinking X.509. In GPG terms, there is no such thing as
a "certificate authority". What you do is sign their keys with your key
(which might itself be shared/hosted on company hardware so it can be passed
on when you leave), then anyone who trusts your key has a path to each
employee. You'd also want each employee's key to sign your key, since they
trust you to vouch for other employees.

http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/keysigning_party/en/keysigning_party.html